Unpopular opinion: You won’t love your pets as much as you do now when the baby comes…
Let me put this out there, because people (mainly family and close friends), continue to tell me that when the baby comes I will still obviously love the cats, but it will be different and the plans I have in place to help the kitties acclimate, won’t matter.
I’m sure it will be different. But just like when you have a second child you work to make the first child feel loved and have a smooth transition. Thats how I look at it with my cats. They are my first baby and I will do everything in my power to make sure they have the smoothest transition possible, and that they love the baby eventually.
I feel that so many people put their furbabies on the back burner (no judgement, if thats you, just not me…) when they have a baby, because they’re just an animal, but they need so much love too.
It’s got to be so hard for them to go from being your only baby to sharing your love with a human baby, and they don’t understand why all of the sudden you yell at them for doing the things they’ve always done. Its just not fair to them, you are their whole life and they love you & your human baby with all their heart, its our job to make sure they feel loved and have a smooth transition.
Things I am planning on doing to help the kitties acclimate:
- Sending home something with the baby’s smell on it for the kitties, before we get home.
- When we come home, my hubby will carry in the baby and I will greet them as normal.
- We will let them smell her and hide if they need their space.
- I will make time for the furbabies each day on my lap, just like I’ve done since we brought them home.
- We are making certain other plans – that I won’t be sharing because of judgement and opinions that I don’t feel like receiving 🙂 – as mamas we have to do whats best for our family and our babies!
Each family has to do whats best for them, but my goal is to help you remember that your furbabies should remain as important to you once baby arrives as they are now! Make sure to give them lovings and make them feel important and they will love you and your sweet new baby forever!